I found out at an early age how most of the Filipinos prefer fair skinned and those who are half of something.
Here are just some of harsh words that some people told me.
1. You are ugly.
2. You don’t have the face to make it to a pageant.
3. You look like our maid/katulong.
4. Your teeth is ugly.
5. You look like one of the girls who are out at night looking for foreigners.
6. You will never make it.
7. You are just intelligent, join a quiz bee not a pageant.
8. You are weak and useless.
9. No guy will ever love you.
10. Why did you make it to the final 50 candidates, there are prettier girls than you.
What do I say to them?
I say nothing. I am the type of girl who would never let other’s judgement put me down. I have been dealing with negativity since I was young. After being told I don’t have the looks to make it to a pageant, I trained hard and won First Runner Up in Bb. Ormoc 2009. What I do is simple, I use those negativity to push me further up. It makes me work harder and I always see it as a challenge to prove them wrong. The only mistake one can make in this life is to allow people to get the best of you and ruin your life. Always think past the negativity, being positive in yourself and the people around you are the only options to make the most out of life. Be happy, not everyone will like you but make sure to live a life that will make you into someone you yourself will love. For me beauty will always be more than a physical attribute. People can judge you on how you look. Beauty from within will always be eternal and it’s the kind of beauty that makes this world liveable and beautiful. So don’t fret and ditch the negativity.